This Random Thoughts Thursday is more of a cheat post… it’s actually mostly in the style of “Articles I am reading this week“!
- I’m back home after five days in NYC. I always have a hard time leaving, but this time was particularly hard, and I feel pretty weepy and sad. Do you ever get that feeling when you leave a place?
My little NYC buddy
- Have you ever had plantar fasciitis? Ugh, I have a few times, and in both feet (not a once though, thankfully). I thought this article (pdf here), saying there is no consensus on what causes it, was intriguing. Previously, it was believed that plantar fasciitis was chronic inflammation of the plantar fascia. “But when scientists actually biopsied fascia tissue from people with chronic plantar fasciitis, they did not find much if any inflammation.” So now they actually think plantar fasciitis is caused by degeneration or weakening of the tissues, which means the “itis” should be dropped from the injury name, because the “itis” suffix means inflammation! Interesting (maybe only to me…)!
- Hee hee hee, I am not on Twitter, but I thought this article about “happiest and saddest states according to Twitter” (pdf here) was amusing. Researchers analyzed thousands of tweets based on positive and negative words to determine which states were the happiest and saddest. What cracked me up was what words were on the list as happy and sad – I kind of want to see the whole list! Some sad words are “mad, hate, no, boo, smoke and jail, as well as a colorful and thorough assortment of expletives” and some happy words are “LOL and haha, as well as good, nice, sleep and wine, and food or beach related words,” LOL, indeed. The article really focused on how states with more expletives in their tweets were “sadder.” Is your state more happy or more sad (click the link to see the graph)?
- Here’s a fun work from home idea (pdf here) – a virtual assistant! “These skilled online helpers work from home or through outsourcing firms to handle a widening range of clients’ tasks, from scheduling a doctor’s appointment, managing meetings or cleaning out an email inbox, to finding the perfect hairdresser or pair of pants.” Do you think you could use a virtual assistant?
- And now, for one more bagel picture! Ha ha ha. You guys may have guessed that I love eating all the foodz in NYC. I went a bit overboard this trip. I guess one good thing about being home is getting back to my normal eats! And not that I couldn’t eat my “normal eats” in NYC – I could! I just choose to indulge… a bit too much. Ha ha.
Other Random Thoughts Thursday Posts: XXXII, XXXI, XXX, XXIX, XVIII, XXVII, XXVI, XXV, XXIV, XXIII, XXII, XXI, XX, XIX, XVIII, XVII, XVI, XV, XIV, XIII, XII, XI, X, IX, VIII, VII, VI, V, IV, III, II, I.