Bloggers get all sorts of email requests to promote products and events, share links and infographics, and allow guest posts. I say no, 99.9% of the time, and here’s why:
- You pretend to read my blog, as if linking to a current post and providing a generic comment proves you do
- You provide a link to a current post as to why I should promote something of yours… that is completely unrelated to that post
- Or better yet, you find a super old post and ask me to post again on that topic, including your links (sure, makes sense for me to post about weddings…)
- Or worse, ask me to edit that old post to include your link
- You pretend to flatter me
- You ask me to promote things that aren’t close to my home… “we’ll provide a discount code for your readers!”
- You ask me to promote a product that I clearly wouldn’t use, which is odd you don’t know, since you say you’ve been reading my blog…
- You ask me to promote a product without offering me one to try
- You offer me NOTHING (no, I don’t want you to share my content on another platform)
- You’re rude
- Your email is full of grammatical errors and/or your email address and links seem super spammy
- You argue with me that I should do whatever you’re asking me to, because I have before
Most of these things irk me because they point out how insincere the person is. I realize you don’t read my blog. I know you were just doing a google search and found me. That’s fine. I’d rather have you say that, concisely:
I was searching for bloggers that talk about xyz and found your blog! Would you be interested in doing xyz for me? Thanks!
But I am probably still going to say no, because, most importantly:
- This blog is my voice, not yours
- I am not desperate for money
- I am not desperate for content
- I am not looking to have my content posted elsewhere
All of that being said, I have had some nice opportunities come along because I am a blogger, and have worked with some great people! Not everyone is like this!
And I am still waiting for Asics to sponsor me. HA!!!!!
Also, this does not apply to friends and family asking me to share links and information – I am referring to “companies” (really, random people) contacting me.
Here’s an infographic for ya!
Alright, bloggers, what did I miss?